Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Chingay

I spent the start of my weekend doing something fun. I took part in my first and probably last Chingay Parade. The street parade is an annual affair that celebrates the Chinese new year and involves many floats and performers. If you are a dancer from a fairly decent school, you'd probably have participated in it at least once. I unfortunately, still have two left feet, so I took part in another way, which of course is with my buddies from the 501st Legion of Storm Troopers. The 501st also known as Vader's Fist, is a fan initiated non-profit organisation that does charity work such as visiting children with the Make-A-Wish foundation or helping out with the SPCA's donation drives and the such.

I am Darth Vader for the Singapore Garrison. It is always a thrilling experience to don the armour and put on the helmet of the greatest Sith Lord. Being Vader is probably the only acting that I've got a chance to do since leaving drama in 06 (I am dying to get involved in a production somewhere). I think I make a pretty decent Vader even if I don't get to do the voice. The fans don't notice, they're happy with just getting a quick photo in. heh.

There is something magical about donning the helmet and slipping into the character. I connect so much with Vader's troubled, twisted and dark past. The regal stance and purpose with which he walks. This grasp of anger and power in his trademark gesticulations. The mask adds another level. Walking around as Vader brings about mixed feelings in people, especially the children. Some are completely terrified, some are excited, almost all are mystified.

Being Vader isn't as fun as being the other characters, like the storm troopers. The troopers can be as goofy as they like because that's what they are in the movies. They have no characterisation. Me, on the hand, I have feel the need to remain true to character. There is this respect for him and for the fans that requires me to keep that magic there. I don't get to wave at people or generally be friendly, which is a bit sad, but I do get a deep thrill at evoking people's childhood memories. It makes their day, I bet, in some surrealistic manner.

The parade itself was cool. I generally hate being in parades. Too long and too much logistics. I remember the few parades that I took part in the army. I hated practicing for them, but there was always this sense of pride when they were actually happening. This smartness of the march and of the uniform. The whole looking sharp. I don't know. Chingay was certainly more slack than a military parade, though I wish we had done a bit more fun things, alas. Haha it was still awesome.

This post is probably going around in circles, alas, that is the curse of the ADHD mind. Also it was more of a short reflection and rant anyway. Being Vader is always awesome. Always.


No comments:

Post a Comment