Monday, March 12, 2012


Today, I witnessed a most profound thing. After the Mass today, the visiting celebrant after de-vesting, went out of the sacristy, out of the sanctuary, to a corner of the altar rails, knelt down and prayed before the Sacratissimum in the tabernacle. I'd never seen that before. The immediacy and humility of it all. God first, then pastoral duties.

That visiting priest was the Superior General of the Priestly Fraternity of St Peter.

That reminds me of another story I was told, of another priest, or a bishop rather, who gave to God first. That man was Fulton Sheen. At the conference of all the Bishops of the USA, he was asked to give the opening address, and in classic Sheen style, he told them, 'I am more influential than every single one of you. When I talk, people listen to me. Do you want to know why? Because, every morning, I spend one hour kneeling in front of the Blessed Sacrament.'

Truly inspiring!

1 comment:

  1. It is supremely beautiful when a priest, especially one of such esteemed status, sets the example for others to follow.

    It is truly great that you got to meet the Superior General from the FSSP, but I think what is even more important is that his behavior has been edifying to you, and to by extension to me by reading your words. In all truth, I am grateful for the FSSP and pray for them regularly. The few times that I have been fortunate enough to have priest from the Fraternity offer Mass have been life changing for me and judging by your experience their fruits are definitely wide spread.

    ReplyDelete