Sunday, August 21, 2011

Some late night thoughts.

Now that my blog has a new look, though it looks worse, I might, for a while, take up the blogging thing again. Look! you have three new entries in just one night. Two of them are complaints or close to it anyway. It's better then nothing, though.

Anyway, I thought I'd just post about the Gospel reading for today. It's from Matthew 16:13-20, wherein Christ commissions Peter and the apostles to start his Church with the promise that it will never fall. It's one of my favourite passages, herein lies the power of the sacrament of confession, which I take great comfort in. Herein lies the might of the Church. I shan't write to much about it because I am not a theologian, but I'm sure if you look through the regular spots, you'll find a great deal of posts in the Catholic Blogosphere regarding this passage.

Unfortunately, in Singapore, we use the Jerusalem Bible for our lectionary. Thankfully it's not the New Jerusalem BIble, what with all it's Yahweh's and all. Though the JB is in itself, rather horrid. It essentially tried to pull a Luther on the bible and went back past the Septuagint and used the Torah as it's base for translating the Old Testament, and so instead of the more credible Koine Greek, we have the Hebrew from the 2nd century onward. Also, they dropped all the exclusive language and thus ending the Thous and Thys which were attributed to God. The translation is also rather clumsy to read and doesn't have the flow that the King James Bible has. So much for doing a Luther. Though another pet peeve was the translation of Luke 1, which didn't have the Angel telling Mary she was 'full of grace', which is far accurate, but that's for another day.

The passage, you can easily find online, however I like the way the latin sounds. So I shall post that here.

Et ego dico tibi, quia tu es Petrus, et super hanc petram ædificabo Ecclesiam mean, et portæ inferi non prævalebunt adversus eam. Et tibi dabo claves regni cælorum. Et quodcumque ligaveris super terram, erit ligatum in cælis: et quodcumque solveris super terram, erit solutum et in cælis.

No comments:

Post a Comment