Monday, June 18, 2012

Fr William Doyle, SJ


I have been reading the biography of Fr William Doyle, SJ by Professor Alfred O'Rahilly. Go buy it. I am enjoying as much as I loved reading the Little Flower's autobiography, The Story of a Soul. In a way, this is second biography of a saint (he's not been canonised yet, but as with the Servant of God, Fulton Sheen, I'm certain he's up there!) that I am properly reading, the rest being summaries and abstracts. It's made me want to get a book on St Guiseppe Moscati, the first canonised modern doctor.

Fr Doyle was an irish jesuit who showed signs of sanctity from his very boyhood. The biography quotes him as being notorious for his kindness and generosity, taking great pleasure in looking after the poor in his neighbourhood, in terms of helping them with chores, supplying them with a cup of tea, and most importantly reminding them to visit the sacraments and pray. He later joined the Society of Jesuit and became a missionary, touching and changing many lives along the way, before becoming a military chaplain. He did so because he had a great desire for martyrdom since young, and eventually obtained it whilst carrying out his ministry in the trenches. He also had a great sense of humour and a jolly nature, often playing practical jokes on friends.

I'm only two or three chapters in the book, and he has already become a hero of mine. Growing up in a Jesuit parish run by good Irish Jesuits, it is only nature to have an affinity of Jesuit saints and spirituality; albeit I will probably have to rediscover the more authentic form of Jesuit spirituality, even my parish was not spared the dilution of the sixties. I have much in common with his never ending energy, impatience and impetuous nature, and love of jokes, though little in common with his sanctity. I hope he will aid me from on high in the road to sanctity. Here's an entry from his private spiritual diary, with the title, 'The Practice of Humility'

I will strive to get a great contempt for myself, to think little of and despise myself, and to pray and desire that others may do the same. I have nothing which God has not given me; I can do nothing without God's grace and help. In a few, very few years, my name will be forgotten. What would people think of me if they knew as I know myself? My pride and desire for praise; my mean uncharitable thoughts about others; my fear of humiliation; the imperfect way I have lived in the Society; the sins I have committed, the scandal give, the terrible harm done to others by making them tepid, breaking rules, etc.; my resolutions broken in an hour; the many faults not corrected after sixteen years of religious life. In spite of all this I deceive myself that I am pleasing God...'

The good Fr Doyle also used to mortify himself, and during a talk about him during the Eucharistic Congress, a story was read about how he used to lie prostrate on the cold floor of his church before the Blessed Sacrament in the early hours of the morning, every so often moving to another spot, 'to make best use of the cold.'

He used to be a popular inspiration in Ireland prior to the '70s. I showed the book to Fr Keane, the last of the Irish Jesuits at my parish and his face lit up in nostalgia (he can't really talk anymore). Though, in more recent times, no one has really heard of him. It's not hard to imagine why though. I can't imagine a Jesuit today doing the things that Fr Doyle did!

Anyway, I love a good Jesuit story and I love good Jesuits! Fr Doyle, pray for us!

PS: For more information and interesting articles about Fr Doyle, do visit this website, http://fatherdoyle.com/ and do pray to him for favours so we can advance his cause for canonisation!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Fr Doyle also pioneered retreats for the working man and was a big inspiration of St Josemaria in the setting up of Opus Dei

No comments:

Post a Comment