Friday, June 15, 2012

Summer Reading and Academics

Not sure why I am posting this. Perhaps to appease my inner narcissist, but whee.... I have updated my current reading list. So far this year, I have [finally] finished Chesterton's Orthodoxy, as well as Michael Cohen's 'Why Catholics Are Right' and St Therese's Story of a Soul. Not too shabby for a Medical Student. I'm also actually setting aside time this summer to do quite a bit of heavy reading. In addition to the books on my list, which I have started reading, the following will have to be perused at some point as well:

The Imitation of Christ by St Thomas á Kempis
A History of the Protestant Reformation Vol. 1
Catholic Sexual Ethics
Medical Ethics by Fr Haarding
Holiness is Always in Season by Pope Benedict XVI
The Sacrament of the Present
Introducation to the Devotional Life by St Francis de Sales.

I also have one more spiritual book and one more book on ethics from my SD. I'm currently reading Introduction to the Devotional Life on iPieta, should try and find a hardcopy, would be much easier to read.

Also, I plan to finish Reading Latin this summer, which is long overdue, as well as Ma Yan's diary. As you can probably tell, I plan to brush us on my mandarin and cantonese and attain a certain level of fluency and literacy. I wonder if three languages is a bit of stretch. There are also quite a lot of ethics in the works and I hope to get my hands of Aristotle's Nicomanchean Ethics so I  can jump onto St Thomas' Summa. If time persists. Not to mention getting a head start on anatomy and physio.

Busy, busy. And with quite lofty goals. I wonder how many I'll actually finish :/

Finally, I promise the next post will be something a bit more substantial. I still have to write those reflections on Our Lady, otherwise the Madonna del Soccorso might just appear and turn her club in my direction. Do no mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment