Monday, August 13, 2007

fairytale ending.

Here I am again, the night before school Monday, rushing homework and not doing work. Rather, I'm following a creative itch to blow up my mind's impulses into something as tantalizing as I can possibly sizzle up on my white blank grill. On the menu today, we have a special, a fairy tale ending.

We all want one don't we? And some of us want two or three of them, after all, not everything we do is going to end with that fairy tale conclusion. In a more than perfect world (since ours is already perfect. I would like it no other way), I'd be in OCS now, waiting for book out to go see my tall lady and count the days down before I complete my service, go overseas to med school, graduate with flying colours, yada-yada-yada, white picket fence and two point three kids (little jimmy got stuck some of the way). You get the point.

Basically it's an ideal notion albeit a most boring one. All the things I put down, they're all checkpoints in life, white picket fence and all. They're also points of arrival. This is a concept that I learned from Brother Adrian today during a most delicious breakfast, I digress, especially to highlight the most lovely mouthwatering breakfast of heavenly carrot cake, tea and butter cakes that we had to end the choir retreat. I think it's important to note this breakfast, since it's the first one I’ve had all week. Alright, enough rambling, there's a point to make and a topic sentence to install. During breakfast, Brother was giving me counseling on my woes with the General Paper syllabus, a cross that I carry, together with a fresh-outta-the-box teacher. He told me, as an example of an essay question he would take, 'It is better to travel, then to arrive.' Clearly, folks, a classic gp question, only missing the end tags we know so well, that if we met them, they'd be staked and burnt, like DYA and discuss.

Naturally, the young naive padawan was obfuscated. After all, arrivals are accomplishments, where you can do so much more, why would you want to be stuck in travel? After all you have to deal with annoying stewardesses who won't serve you that vodka orange cause you look underage and the babies crying and that annoying guy leaning your shoulder. The master of course, clearly unfrazzled, took his young student under his arm and said, 'you do not gain in achievement, in arrival, cause you're already there. It would be better to travel, as it is in the process that we gain and find more of ourselves.'

It made me realize something new today. Fairytales are so great not because of the fantasy involved, but the great dangers and processes that the protagonist, usually a handsome and charming, slightly shy Prince by the name of David, has to go through to seek, in most cases usually his true love. You think it's easy fighting a dragon, resisting the temptation of a sexy, hot seductress of an evil villainess secondary character and having tea while being bound by shackles with an ugly old witch that holds your true love prisoner easy? You try.

Fairytales appeal to us when we're young and naive because of the allure that we find in the end that the Prince makes his marriage to the Princess and that happily ever after. Ask any non-sceptical teenage girl about love and a happily ever after and they will sigh and swoon. The need for accomplishments, causes the imbuing confidence on someone, yet why do parents continue to tell their children all these stories that seem to only sow the seed of greed in children? I finally realized today, not only cause it shuts up the little brats and keeps them out of trouble for a good 15 minutes, half an hour if you're good, it's also because they realized that it is not the reaching, but how the reaching took place that is the key to life.

The fairytales we all know and love: sleeping beauty, snow white, beauty and the beast. The princes all have many dangers that they needed to face to win that gal, and that is what our parents want to teach us. They tell tales not of danger and magic and love, but of bravery to overcome the danger, the magic of experiences to guide us and the development of love that binds it all together. That is why we will continue to hand these stories down the generations. That and also since they're really nice stories.

I just read a feature article about Yaoming's wedding to his childhood crush Ye. She' 1.9m, and everything a basketballer would want in a basketballer woman. I guess we can't all find our little giant girl like Yao did and have that fairytale ending. Ok...ok I guess while I've found my Little Giant Girl, I won't get my fairytale ending, like his. The rest of you can dream on about your normal heighted girls then :P. But, I find i often daydream about holding her hand and all the couplely things, all these things that happen upon arrival. I spend a lot of time thinking about what I'd like to do If she and I were together, often accompanied by sighs. I never put much thought of this as arriving and I never really spent much into the actual processing of the arrival. It's easier to think of the dilemma rather than the solution, easier to slip into the role of Orsino, rather than the one of Viola. Though that is how Yao found his fairy tale ending. It took him 8 years and countless rejections. I wonder why I'm so scared of getting rejected. I'm so young and that's just part of the process. Sometimes being a perfectionist creates its own set of problems. It also lands you in a deeper rut.

I guess we can't all follow Yao the way he held his fairy tale ending. It's probably been copyrighted by now. You know, all these celebs making their own names. But, we can all find our own. It's really a simple, arduous task. Just get off our asses and do something about it and hang on, as long as it takes. That's why I’m still chasing my dreams. If you don't dream.. then you're walking to no where. So dream, cause running's more fun and much faster too. That's how we find our fairytale ending. Enticing init? You should take too.

No comments:

Post a Comment