Friday, July 20, 2007

If You had just a year left to live?

I took this idea out of the January 2007 edition of Reader's Digest. 10 ways to discover a new you. This was in 'Reflect' and it stuck out the most. It struck me quite musingly, what would you do if you had a just a year to live? What would I do i had just a year to live? Let's look at this from an idealistic, I'm not going to die from a disease or something in 1 year, but just that 365.25 days from now, I will get called home to the Lord. Snap, just like that. What would I do?

I guess most people would start writing up lists of priorities, which fantasies to give up, which fantasies to fulfill. So the first thing I though of was, with one year to live, i could give up my dreams of med school, but I still have one year to get to know 'Estella' better. I doubt I'll meet with much resistance, after all, who would not be sympathetic to the wishes of the terminal. But I don't know, really would that help. One year, I wonder what I'd gain, what she'd gain? It would be really spiritual gain. Although, there is a chance stuff might not happen, after all, I don't really know who I would tell I'm gonna be around for such a period. I'm so secretive that way.

Of course, I get the feeling a lot of men and some women would start making up lists of people they'd like to have a go with. Then I thought, why waste my time trying to catch stds. I guess, I won't get a chance to experience that sort of thing, but I do believe in it post-marital and I do believe in chastity. Laugh away if you may, but I shall keep my morals. So in place of that, I thought of maybe a list of people i'd like to have a go with...for a long discussion on the philosophies or life or just to talk nonsensical and wisecrack about the world and Jimmy's disposition. I'm not going to put the list here, it is quite extensive, from celebrities to people in school i know by name or face.

Then of course, there's a lot of books that I hope can finish reading. I'd like to get fit enough to play a match as In-center and I know that match might be my last, but it'd be the best too. Then there's also getting a band and singing at concert. That would rock, singing my own written songs to music. Too bad, I'd only get a year, i'd never get to learn to play Lizst's La Campanella. It's so sad, I know realize looking at a year in perspective to living, there are too many things i want to do and there is too little time to do it all.

Time has all intangled in it's suffering web, enslaved to the clock and hours of the day. Makes you wonder how you're truely going to make the best use of it. I wish I could spend most of my time doing things that make me feel whole and warm inside, those include laughing and hanging around friends, the warmth and comfort just fuel my soul. Though hanging withe computer brings long leases of emptiness. I once theoried that the PC is a giant uninspirational thing, it steals from your imagination and you run on it expecting entertainment, which it doesn't give. It makes the brain lazy. I still find i get the least amount of homework done around the computer.

Thankfully, I don't have one year to live. I still have time to do what i want to do and more importantly. I still have time to get to know the Chimney and somehow force my grades into medschool. So I guess with time on my side, I'll just have to do it. That's what time's for init. What would you do then if you had but a year? Puts life into perspective dunit..

No comments:

Post a Comment