Sunday, July 29, 2007

Medical Love Affair.

I'm sorry girls. I'm taken.
yes, my nerdish ways have made fall in love with a dream. My sweet medical dream. It spurs me on in my sleep, through my dreams, and in my waking through my day. It has made me enlist in a factory-esque jc, drag myself through an idealistic curriculum with unrealistic teachers and face a deluge of annoying political societies. Ah, but it will be all worth it when I finally finish this drive and we meet and run off for our decade long courtship, into the setting sun. ahh, dreams.

I sometimes wonder how much of being some hellspawn of two doctors (I'm sure they feel like that sometime), where one of them is a third generation doctor. That would of course have affect anyone's life. I mean growing up in a whole horde of doctors. Nearly every party would have us playing with some other doctors kids. heh, luckily we never played doctor :P It's hard not to be influenced no?

And then there hospitals and clinics which i played in while waiting for my parents. I remember several instances so vividly. The one which made me gain all curiousity for the colour red and the bodily fluid that has it, when i was eight, I was at my mother's clinic waiting for her, and her friend from church came to have her blood taken. Of course being the impulsive, curious and friendly brat that I was, we made started talking and I followed her to have her blood taken. I remember being very fascinated by all the things my mum was telling her friend and the nurse, about the syringes they needed to buy and the needle and how her friend didn't have very good veins or something. But seeing the deep, dark red fill the chamber of the syringe was quite thrilling. Maybe that's why i like to see blood being taken. Thrill. I'm the number one person to donate blood, sadly, I'm on too much meds to do so.

Though of course having parental units already attached to your one true love, and one of them having a habit of telling lame jokes contributes to many really really bad jokes about with reference to medicine. Though i still love her dearly. haha.. Today we were having lunch and my mother reminded me of how i once wanted to emulate my father in his field if orthopedic surgery. Of course, since I had changed my mind since then, i proclaimed that i found that kinda boring with the bones and all. My mum's riposte was that it was all engineering, which, as everyone knows i really don't have much affection for. This was further persued and developed into Orthopedic surgery being really like carpentry of the body, since it's really about adding things to stabilize and making it look all pretty and stuff, which lead the mum suggesting that general surgery was like plumbing. Much to our disbelief, though she supplied the following evidence: 'it is, since you get a clogged intestine, you cut here, drain. or you have a blood clot in the leg, you open the vein and remove the blockage."

Of course, me, being a smart alec, went onto ask about neurosurgeons, to which my mother having no more evener smarter than alec answers, made a quick consultation with my father who gave the answer that neurosurgery is akin to fine watchmakers. So that's it folks, our surgeons are really glorified medical carpenters, plumbers and watchmakers. At least the plumbers don't moon you while they work.

No comments:

Post a Comment